Russia. Belovode: the promise land.Add to Lightbox Download
RUSSIA. Sergiev Posad. 2004. Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius. St. Sergius was declared patron saint of the Russian state in 1422. The same year the first stone cathedral was built by a team of Serbian monks who had found refuge in the monastery after the Battle of Kosovo. The relics of St. Sergius still may be seen in this cathedral, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The greatest icon painters of medieval Russia, Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chyorny, were summoned to decorate the cathedral with frescoes. Traditionally, Muscovite royals were baptized in this cathedral and held thanksgiving services here.
- Alberto Ceoloni
- Image Size
- 603x400 / 76.5KB
- Contained in galleries
- Russia. Belovode: the promise land.